but by My Spirit, says the Lord of hosts” (Zechariah 4:6).
The quintessential verse of Hanukkah is Zechariah 4:6. When we, as God’s set apart people, purify our Temples and rededicate our hearts, our light in this world shines brighter and brighter. Let’s look at this powerful verse as it relates to the Golden Menorah (i.e. Lampstand) in God’s Temple from the lowly perspective of an almond. The word for “almond tree” in Hebrew literally sounds like the Hebrew word for “watching. “The word of the LORD came to me: “What do you see Jeremiah? I see the branch of an almond tree,” I replied. The LORD said to me, “You have seen correctly, for I am watching to see that my word is fulfilled” (Jer. 1:11-12). An almond tree is a deciduous tree having pink flowers and fruit. An almond is a kernel. A kernel is defined as a grain or seed; or the central or important part of a subject or plan or problem. But get this… the seed of the almond is also its edible fruit. What an incredible picture of the Spirit of the Living God enabling us to be able to sow and reap at the same time.
The Golden Lampstand in Exodus 25 is a symbol of Jesus as Light of the World as well as His believers being the light of the world. In the Hebraic culture the almond tree is symbolic of the Tree of Life. Thus, we can see an Old Testament picture in the Golden Lampstand of Jesus being the light and life of the world. Jesus uttered this Messianic statement during Hanukkah: “I am the light of the world; he who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life” (John 8:12 NASB). A menorah has seven branches with accompanying lamps. They were called lamps, because they contained the oil and wicks that produced the flame. Significantly, the Golden Menorah’s illumination was created by man-made wicks, oil, and flame. The cups of the lamps that hold the oil for the Lampstand are shaped like almond flowers with both buds and blossoms. When we associate Jeremiah 1:11-12 with the menorah picture, we can see one aspect of the menorah. It symbolizes the light of God’s Presence watching over His Word to see that it is fulfilled. By the way, full almond blossoms symbolize life blooming, while the almond buds symbolize the hope of new or renewed life. When things look dark and wintry do not despair, it is only a season for spring is near. The almond tree is the first one to bloom in Jerusalem in the spring of the year.
Zechariah 4:1 shows the angel of the Lord waking up this person and asking him the same question we started out with: “What do you see?” In Zechariah 4:2 the man answers, “I see a solid gold lampstand… where there is an additional bowl which causes the lampstand to yield a ceaseless supply of oil…” Then Zechariah 4:6 says “Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, says the Lord of hosts.” The two olive trees supplying the ceaseless oil to the lampstand in Zechariah 4:13-14 can be interpreted as being the One New Man in Christ (Jews and Gentiles in the Messiah).
1. The ceaseless supply of oil is symbolic of what?
(Hint: Zechariah 4:6)
2. What encouragement can or do you get when you think of God watching over His Word to perform it?
3. How are you a container (lamp) for God’s Presence (Spirit)?
4. How can you become a better lamp to the world? (Hint: Matthew 5:14; Psalm 119:105; Proverbs 6:23; 2 Peter 1:19)
~ Robin Main
Copyright 2014 – Sapphire Throne Ministries – Robin Main
These devotionals have been written in such a way to include all age groups.
FYI – The year my family began to celebrate Hanukkah we started on the 8th day as our first day and proceeded for all eight days to simply follow in childlike simplicity what Yeshua did.
Other posts about celebrating Hanukkah in the Messiah:
• GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR CELEBRATING HANUKKAH – KINDLING LIGHTS & BLESSINGS => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/general-guidelines-for-celebrating-hanukkah-kindling-lights-blessings/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 1 – “Walking As Yeshua (Jesus) Did”=> https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotional-reading-night-1-walking-as-yeshua-jesus-did/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 2 – “Priests Cleansing Our Temples” – https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotional-reading-night-2-priests-cleansing-our-temples/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 3 – “Eyes to See” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotional-reading-night-3-eyes-to-see/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 4 – “What Do You See?” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-4-what-do-you-see/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 5 – “Pure & Pressed Like Gold” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-5-pure-pressed-like-gold/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 6 – “The True Light of Love” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-6-the-true-light-of-love/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 7 – “The Place of Miracles” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-7-the-place-of-miracles/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 8 – “Will You Be Betrothed?” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-8-will-you-be-betrothed/
• Ascension Manual book => https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578188511
• Understanding the Order of Melchizedek: Complete Series book => https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Order-Melchizedek-Robin-Main/dp/0998598240/
• MEL GEL Study Guide book => https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578188538/
• MEL GEL Study Guide: Volume 2 book => https://www.amazon.com/dp/0998598232/
• SANTA-TIZING: What’s wrong with Christmas and how to clean it up book => https://www.amazon.com/SANTA-TIZING-Whats-wrong-Christmas-clean/dp/1607911159/
• Blazing New Wine of Hanukkah book =>https://www.amazon.com/Blazing-New-Wine-Hanukkah-Understanding-ebook/dp/B010MHNZMK/
• Let There Be Light! Hanukkah Meditations book => https://www.amazon.com/dp/0998598208/
• Set of Hebrew Living Letter Flash Cards => https://www.sapphirethroneministries.com/flashcards
ART: Menorah – 7 Covenants
Pingback: RE-MEMBRANCE OF HIM… BODY BROKEN | sapphirethroneministries
Pingback: GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR CELEBRATING HANUKKAH – KINDLING LIGHTS & BLESSINGS | SANTA-TIZING's Blog
Pingback: HANUKKAH DEVOTIONAL READING NIGHT 1 – “Walking As Yeshua (Jesus) Did” | SANTA-TIZING's Blog
Pingback: HANUKKAH DEVOTIONAL READING NIGHT 2 – “Priests Cleansing Our Temples” | SANTA-TIZING's Blog
Pingback: HANUKKAH DEVOTIONAL READING NIGHT 3 – “Eyes to See” | SANTA-TIZING's Blog
Pingback: HANUKKAH DEVOTION READING NIGHT 8 – “Will You Be Betrothed?” | SANTA-TIZING's Blog
Pingback: HANUKKAH DEVOTION READING NIGHT 7 – “The Place of Miracles” | SANTA-TIZING's Blog
Pingback: HANUKKAH DEVOTION READING NIGHT 6 – “The True Light of Love” | SANTA-TIZING's Blog
Pingback: HANUKKAH DEVOTION READING NIGHT 5 – “Pure & Pressed Like Gold” | SANTA-TIZING's Blog