“The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light” (Matt. 6:22 NIV). The eye is the organ of sight. The human eyeball measures only about one inch in diameter, yet the eye can see objects as far away as a star and as tiny as a grain of sand and can quickly adjust its focus between the two. Our eyes are two-way windows. They show you the world, but also show others your feelings. Raised upper lids signal surprise. Pupils grow wide with wonder, interest, or fear. You might wink to let someone know you’re kidding and perhaps blink when nervous. You may gaze into the eyes of those you love, but look away when embarrassed or ashamed. Did you know that your fingerprints have forty unique features, but your iris has 266?
The first step in seeing is light bouncing off every object in your sight. The Bible tells us that when we are in sin, we are in darkness and we can’t see (i.e., blind):
“Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear. For your hands are stained with blood, your fingers with guilt. Your lips have spoken lies, and your tongue mutters wicked things. No one calls for justice; no one pleads his case with integrity. They rely on empty arguments and speak lies; they conceive trouble and give birth to evil. Their feet rush into sin; they are swift to shed innocent blood. Their thoughts are evil thoughts; ruin and destruction mark their ways. So justice is far from us, and righteousness does not reach us. We look for light, but all is darkness; for brightness, but we walk in deep shadows” (Isa. 59:1-4, 7, 9).
When Yeshua (Jesus) came to Jerusalem during Hanukkah at the risk of His own life to meet with believers, He performed the one miracle that proved that HE IS THE MESSIAH. He healed a man born blind. This man’s world of sight was complete darkness until the man from Galilee walked his way.
“For He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins” (Col. 1:13-14).
Yeshua tells His disciples that the reason this man was born blind was so the power of God would be manifest (John 9:3). We all have been born blind in some ways. Know that all our troubles and frailties are for the purposes of the Almighty’s power being made known in our lives. You may think that you are in a dark cloud, but God Himself knows our dark places (Job 22:12-14), and He gives those He loves the “treasures of darkness” (Isaiah 45:3).
“I will give you the treasures of darkness and hidden riches of secret places, That you may know that I, the LORD, Who call you by your name, AM the God of Israel” (Isaiah 45:3 NKJV).
In order to return to Eden, we need to see the Judge. The Ancient Hebrew Word Picture for the word “Eden” tells us that Eden is to see the Judge while the Ancient Hebrew Word Picture for the word “judge” reveals that the Judge is the Door of Life – Yeshua. He only judges the things in our lives that get in the way of love, light and life. Now, our job is to join Him in His redemptive work in our own lives. Continue to press into Him to have eyes to see, ears to hear, and a mind to understand. Let us all return and be healed (Isaiah 6:8-10)!
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS (Choose one, two or all):
1. What effect does light have on darkness? What will happen if you blow out a candle?
2. Did you know that you can’t see for one-half hour a day? Why? (A: Because you’re blinking.)
3. How might we have a calloused heart where we are ever seeing but not perceiving? (Hint: These are areas in people’s lives where we have chosen our own way.)
4. Share a redemptive area in your life (a place of darkness) where you’d like to see the power of God manifest.
~ Robin Main
Copyright 2014 – Sapphire Throne Ministries – Robin Main
Other posts about celebrating Hanukkah in the Messiah:
• GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR CELEBRATING HANUKKAH – KINDLING LIGHTS & BLESSINGS => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/general-guidelines-for-celebrating-hanukkah-kindling-lights-blessings/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 1 – “Walking As Yeshua (Jesus) Did”=> https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotional-reading-night-1-walking-as-yeshua-jesus-did/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 2 – “Priests Cleansing Our Temples” – https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotional-reading-night-2-priests-cleansing-our-temples/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 3 – “Eyes to See” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotional-reading-night-3-eyes-to-see/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 4 – “What Do You See?” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-4-what-do-you-see/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 5 – “Pure & Pressed Like Gold” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-5-pure-pressed-like-gold/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 6 – “The True Light of Love” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-6-the-true-light-of-love/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 7 – “The Place of Miracles” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-7-the-place-of-miracles/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 8 – “Will You Be Betrothed?” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-8-will-you-be-betrothed/
• Ascension Manual book => https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578188511
• Understanding the Order of Melchizedek: Complete Series book => https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Order-Melchizedek-Robin-Main/dp/0998598240/
• MEL GEL Study Guide book => https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578188538/
• MEL GEL Study Guide: Volume 2 book => https://www.amazon.com/dp/0998598232/
• SANTA-TIZING: What’s wrong with Christmas and how to clean it up book => https://www.amazon.com/SANTA-TIZING-Whats-wrong-Christmas-clean/dp/1607911159/
• Blazing New Wine of Hanukkah book =>https://www.amazon.com/Blazing-New-Wine-Hanukkah-Understanding-ebook/dp/B010MHNZMK/
• Let There Be Light! Hanukkah Meditations book => https://www.amazon.com/dp/0998598208/
• Set of Hebrew Living Letter Flash Cards => http://www.sapphirethroneministries.com/art.html
• All STM Resources (usually cheaper than Amazon), including teaching videos => http://www.sapphirethroneministries.com/resources.html
These devotionals have been written in such a way to include all age groups.
FYI – The year my family began to celebrate Hanukkah we started on the 8th day as our first day and proceeded for all eight days to simply follow in childlike simplicity what Yeshua did.