Hanukkah is celebrated in winter when things look asleep, just as all ten virgins in Matthew 25 were asleep because “the Bridegroom was a long time in coming” (Matt. 25:5). By the way, both the wise and foolish virgins are representative of believers.
Hanukkah is not one of the seven feasts of the Lord specified in Leviticus 23, but it is one of the two winter feasts mentioned in the Word of God – Hanukkah (John 10:22-23) and Purim (Esther). If we operate on the premise that the entire Bible is inspired by God (2 Tim. 3:16-17), we must contemplate why these feasts are in God’s Word. Are they mentioned positively or negatively? Positively. Does God discourage or encourage their celebration? Definitely not discouraged. In fact, Yeshua (Jesus) celebrated these feasts as a Jew when He walked here on this earth. I don’t know about you, but I want to do what Yeshua did. Yeshua celebrated Passover (Pesach), the Feast of Unleavened Bread (Hag HaMatzah), the Feast of First Fruits (Bikkurim), Pentecost (Shavuot), the Feast of Trumpets (Rosh HaShana), the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur), the Feast of Tabernacles (Sukkot), the Feast of Dedication (Hanukkah), and the Feast of Lots (Purim). Yeshua celebrated the Lord’s feasts as a shadow of things to come because they are part of His Word – part of Him. The fulfillment of everything in God’s Word, including the feasts of the Lord, is found in Christ. Jesus Christ of Nazareth – the Head and His Body – gives definitive form to the Lord’s feasts. Just as Yeshua embodies the feasts, so shall we. Jesus brings the feasts of the Lord into an organized whole, as a prophetic picture of His ministry to His body and the redemption of all creation.
Through the feasts of the Lord, God is telling us that He has ordained an exact, set, and appointed time when He will fulfill definite events in His plan of redemption here on earth. Yeshua came to earth in the fullness of time, which was the exact time ordained by God (Gal. 4:2-4). The Lord also has set an exact time when He is appointed to judge the world (Acts 17:31). Technically, God’s feasts represent the congregation where God’s people are brought together or assembled together for worship as an organized body. In 2 Chronicles 8:13, the primitive root for “mo-ed” feasts is the Hebrew word “ya-ad,” which is defined as fixing an appointment – like writing a critical meeting in your day-timer. But more importantly, this primitive root implies that the Lord is summoning His people to meet Him at His stated time, He is directing us into a certain position, and He is engaging us for marriage (i.e., to be betrothed). Just as “mo-ed” in space refers to the locality where mankind has their appointed place of assembly for an appointed purpose, so “mo-ed” in time is a point in time which summons God’s people communally to an appointed activity. As it is written: “As You summon to a feast day . . .” (Lam. 2:22). The question remains for Christians: If we aren’t celebrating the Feasts of the Lords, can we truly be betrothed to Him?
1. How many Biblical feasts can you name? (Answer: Passover (Pesach), the Feast of Unleavened Bread (Hag HaMatzah), the Feast of First Fruits (Bikkurim), Pentecost (Shavuot), the Feast of Trumpets (Rosh HaShana), the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur), the Feast of Tabernacles (Sukkot), the Feast of Dedication (Chanukah), and the Feast of Lots (Purim))
2. Who summons people to the feasts of the Lord? (Answer: God) Why is He summoning us? (Answer: So we can intimately be united with Him in a marriage like relationship)
3. If we aren’t celebrating the Feasts of the Lords, can we truly be betrothed to Him?
~ Robin Main
Copyright 2014 – Sapphire Throne Ministries – Robin Main
Other posts about celebrating Hanukkah in the Messiah:
• GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR CELEBRATING HANUKKAH – KINDLING LIGHTS & BLESSINGS => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/general-guidelines-for-celebrating-hanukkah-kindling-lights-blessings/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 1 – “Walking As Yeshua (Jesus) Did”=> https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotional-reading-night-1-walking-as-yeshua-jesus-did/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 2 – “Priests Cleansing Our Temples” – https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotional-reading-night-2-priests-cleansing-our-temples/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 3 – “Eyes to See” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotional-reading-night-3-eyes-to-see/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 4 – “What Do You See?” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-4-what-do-you-see/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 5 – “Pure & Pressed Like Gold” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-5-pure-pressed-like-gold/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 6 – “The True Light of Love” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-6-the-true-light-of-love/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 7 – “The Place of Miracles” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-7-the-place-of-miracles/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 8 – “Will You Be Betrothed?” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-8-will-you-be-betrothed/
• Ascension Manual book => https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578188511
• Understanding the Order of Melchizedek: Complete Series book => https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Order-Melchizedek-Robin-Main/dp/0998598240/
• MEL GEL Study Guide book => https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578188538/
• MEL GEL Study Guide: Volume 2 book => https://www.amazon.com/dp/0998598232/
• SANTA-TIZING: What’s wrong with Christmas and how to clean it up book => https://www.amazon.com/SANTA-TIZING-Whats-wrong-Christmas-clean/dp/1607911159/
• Set of Hebrew Living Letter Flash Cards => http://www.sapphirethroneministries.com/art.html
• All STM Resources (usually cheaper than Amazon), including teaching videos => http://www.sapphirethroneministries.com/resources.html