“But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of the darkness into His wonderful light” (1 Peter 2:9).
“Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.” (1 Corinthians 6:19-20 NLT)
Hanukkah celebrates the purification of God’s Temple, which was the preeminent house of worship in Jerusalem. The Bible also tells us that believers are the temple of the Holy Spirit. The flame of the Holy Spirit burns inside and outside of us, so we may be the light of the world.
It was the priests that cleansed the Temple during the Feast of Dedication (Hanukkah). When we review the below characteristics of the first earthly priesthood (Levitical priesthood), we can see the original requirements of the Lord’s that are still necessary for His royal priesthood today. These priestly characteristics will show us areas in our own lives that can use some improvement (i.e. cleansing). Let us look at the Levites to gain some understanding about the priesthood that believers belong to, and the behavior expected of God’s holy nation. The Tribe of Levi was chosen by God to be set apart for intimate relationship with God (i.e. religious service):
 The Levites were set apart, because they were willing to pay the price to go against the flow. They radically obeyed the LORD (Exodus 32). They took a painful stand of righteousness that was a sword against their brothers.
 The Levites were God centered (Numbers 3). The Levites camped around the Presence of God… not around a person, doctrine, group, etc.
 They gave up the right to a “normal” life… the LORD Himself became their inheritance.
 They had cities of refuge, where broken-hearted, hurting people had a safe place to come.
 The Levites’ first ministry was, and is, to the LORD (Ezekiel 44:10-16).
 They led continual worship in the Tabernacle/Temple. There was a special song for each day as well as specific songs for festivals, sacrifices and offerings. Jewish tradition says that when the LORD “spoke” the world into existence, He actually sung it.
 The Levites brought the Presence of God back to Jerusalem and all cities (1 Chronicles 15). God’s people radically obey Him, and their lives are centered on Him.
1) Who dwells in you?
2) Do you ever feel that the light of God within you is burning dimly? And why?
3) What way can you endeavor to cleanse your temple (body)?
4) What characteristic of the Levitical Priesthood speaks to you the most, and why?
~ Robin Main
Copyright 2014 – Sapphire Throne Ministries – Robin Main
Other posts about celebrating Hanukkah in the Messiah:
• GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR CELEBRATING HANUKKAH – KINDLING LIGHTS & BLESSINGS => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/general-guidelines-for-celebrating-hanukkah-kindling-lights-blessings/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 1 – “Walking As Yeshua (Jesus) Did”=> https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotional-reading-night-1-walking-as-yeshua-jesus-did/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 2 – “Priests Cleansing Our Temples” – https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotional-reading-night-2-priests-cleansing-our-temples/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 3 – “Eyes to See” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotional-reading-night-3-eyes-to-see/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 4 – “What Do You See?” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-4-what-do-you-see/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 5 – “Pure & Pressed Like Gold” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-5-pure-pressed-like-gold/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 6 – “The True Light of Love” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-6-the-true-light-of-love/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 7 – “The Place of Miracles” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-7-the-place-of-miracles/
• HANUKKAH DEVOTION – READING NIGHT 8 – “Will You Be Betrothed?” => https://santatizing.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/hanukkah-devotion-reading-night-8-will-you-be-betrothed/
• Ascension Manual book => https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578188511
• Understanding the Order of Melchizedek: Complete Series book => https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Order-Melchizedek-Robin-Main/dp/0998598240/
• MEL GEL Study Guide book => https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578188538/
• MEL GEL Study Guide: Volume 2 book => https://www.amazon.com/dp/0998598232/
• SANTA-TIZING: What’s wrong with Christmas and how to clean it up book => https://www.amazon.com/SANTA-TIZING-Whats-wrong-Christmas-clean/dp/1607911159/
• Blazing New Wine of Hanukkah book =>https://www.amazon.com/Blazing-New-Wine-Hanukkah-Understanding-ebook/dp/B010MHNZMK/
• Let There Be Light! Hanukkah Meditations book => https://www.amazon.com/dp/0998598208/
• Set of Hebrew Living Letter Flash Cards => https://www.sapphirethroneministries.com/flashcards
Pingback: GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR CELEBRATING HANUKKAH – KINDLING LIGHTS & BLESSINGS | SANTA-TIZING's Blog
Pingback: HANUKKAH DEVOTIONAL READING NIGHT 1 – “Walking As Yeshua (Jesus) Did” | SANTA-TIZING's Blog
Pingback: HANUKKAH DEVOTION READING NIGHT 8 – “Will You Be Betrothed?” | SANTA-TIZING's Blog
Pingback: HANUKKAH DEVOTION READING NIGHT 7 – “The Place of Miracles” | SANTA-TIZING's Blog
Pingback: HANUKKAH DEVOTION READING NIGHT 6 – “The True Light of Love” | SANTA-TIZING's Blog
Pingback: HANUKKAH DEVOTION READING NIGHT 5 – “Pure & Pressed Like Gold” | SANTA-TIZING's Blog
Pingback: HANUKKAH DEVOTION READING NIGHT 4 – “What Do You See?” | SANTA-TIZING's Blog
Pingback: HANUKKAH DEVOTIONAL READING NIGHT 3 – “Eyes to See” | SANTA-TIZING's Blog